Monday, January 02, 2012

Bonne année 2012!

For those of you demanding crazy stories of my wild doings on New Years Eve, I give you:


Yes, I defrosted the frozen fridge of doom! Actually not on New Years Eve, but it is the single most exciting thing I have done in a long time! I had been valiantly trying to eat everything in it so I could unplug it before I went away, but I couldn't eat fast enough (and I wasn't exactly going to drink bottles of mayonnaise and so forth) and I also had doubts about leaving it to defrost all over my flat, so I left it plugged in but decided it needed tackling regardless when I got back. At first, I just unplugged it and wandered off for a bit, but upon closer inspection it became clear that it wasn't going to just melt by itself in a hurry. So I developed a system of throwing saucepan-fulls of hot water on it, scraping at the ice with a ladle and then gathering the ice out of the bottom of the fridge and melting it in the sink.

It took about an hour of hard work before the remaining ice came off in a few big sheets. So bear in mind, this is AFTER melting about half of it:



It then took about another hour to give the fridge a thorough cleaning, including all the trays. It actually was pretty clean, considering I only got it in August, but it was a good opportunity to do it. So, New Years Resolution? Keep my beady eye firmly fixed on any signs that the Frozen Fridge of Doom is making a comeback!

Other than that, I don't really want to call it a resolution, but I went to the gym on Friday, Saturday and today. Not New Year's Day since it was closed and I was a little bit hungover, but still, good going! I read something recently by a guy whose resolution *last* year was to work out every day and he made the argument that it was actually easier to stick to, because you didn't fall in the trap of thinking "I have to go three times this week, so I won't today, and I won't tomorrow, but I'll definitely, definitely catch up later this week" and then falling off the wagon. I realise a lot of people say the exact opposite, that you shouldn't try to set these sorts of "extreme" goals, but it made a lot of sense to me. So, I might not make it to the gym every single day, but I'm going to try and make sure I get at least 3o minutes' exercise every day (which is actually not really a change from now) but that I really do also make sure I'm down at the gym as often as possible.

4 comments:

  1. My assistant year the German assistant and I dégivré-ed our internat fridge with two hair-dryers. Perhaps not the most energy-efficient way to do it! Also, really boring. I think your method was faster. Hopefully you'll save on your EDF bill now?

    Oh, and happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You too! Yeah, I'm sure that thing is costing me a ton (it's so big too), plus it was freezing all my food! For some reason, the actual freezer is fine, didn't need defrosting at all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the fridge!! It looks good. How satisfying was it taking that large sheet of ice out?

    You're smart for not just letting it defrost on its own by unplugging it. I would have done that...and regretted.

    It looks like you're having a good start to 2012! You've been wanting to defrost this for some time now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! It was great, I was expecting just to have to keep scraping away at it right until I hit the wall, so it was very nice when it popped out for me :) I don't think I'd realised it was quite that thick before I started!

    ReplyDelete

Feed the Comment Monster! Rawrrrr

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.